The World Diabetes Day is celebrated every year on November 14. The World Diabetes Day campaign is led by the International Diabetes Federation and its member association worldwide.
The World Diabetes Day was created in 1991 by the International Diabetes Federation and the World Health Organization in response to the growing concerns about the escalating health threats that Diabetes poses.
World Diabetes Day became an official United Nations Day in 2007 with the passage of The United Nations Resolution 61/225. The campaign draws attention to issues of paramount importance to the diabetes world and keeps diabetes firmly in the public spotlight.
The World Diabetes Theme for 2014-2016 is HEALTHY LIVING AND DIABETES.
(The information above is culled from the International Diabetes Federation website. For more information on The International Diabetes Federation visit here)
To celebrate the 2014 World Diabetes Day; The Nigeria Diabetes Online Community (NGdoc) will be involved in series of National and International Programs listed below. Kindly participate in these events happening online and offline.
1) The Nigeria Diabetes Online Community World Diabetes Day Essay runs from November 1- November 10, 2014. Visit here for more info.
2) The Nigeria Diabetes Online Community World Diabetes Day Diabeducation Program. This year NGdoc will partner with The Ogun State Ministry of Health, Nigeria to train a cross section of about 110 senior secondary school students on diabetes advocacy.
This program to be attended by The Commissioners of Health and Educaton, The Special Adviser to the Ogun State Governor on Health and Chief Olumuyiwa Talabi, the founder and patron of Talabi Diabetes Center Iperu amongst other eminent guests will also herald the launch of the School Health Cadet program of The Ministry of Health, Ogun State.
Follow NGdoc on twitter for updates.
3) The World Diabetes Day 24hour Twitter chat is the 3rd edition of the much anticipated 24 hour twitter chat on the 14th of November hosted by Cherise Shockley of the Diabetes Community Advocacy Foundation. This program features 24 moderators who will each handle the chat hourly from 0.00 EST to 24:00EST.
This chat event has had over 500 participants globally in previous editions. NGdoc will be one of the moderators and thus we’d be hosting an hour. Follow the hashtag #WDDChat14 for more information on moderators, timing and theme of the chat. Visit DCAF website here.
4) Our official partners The Access Alliance is Putting the world back in The World Diabetes Day by campaigning for access to Insulin for All. You can participate by you sharing a photo of yourself with the inscription boldly written “LETS PUT THE WORLD BACK IN WORLD DIABETES DAY #INSULIN4ALL” Visit here to take part.
5) The Diabetes Hand Foundation will from 1pm-4pm EDT on November 3 discuss the unmet needs of Diabetes in a twitter chat with The Food and Drug Adninistration (FDA) Follow the hashtag #DOCasksFDA to participate and visit DHF website here.
Join the Diabetes Hand foundation movement by taking the Big Blue Test right now. Each Big Blue Test entry you log between October 20th and November 19th triggers a $1 donation on your behalf to nonprofit groups that are providing life-saving supplies, services and education to people with diabetes in need. Taking the Big Blue Test is easy.
1. Test your blood glucose. If you do not have diabetes, you can skip this step.
2. Get active. For 14 to 20 minutes, get up and get moving. You can , walk, run, clean the house, swim, tap dance…whatever!
3. Test again. On average, Big Blue Testers seen their blood glucose level drop 20% after 14-20 minutes of exercise.
4. Share your results. Answer the questions in the right column of this page. And don’t forget to talk about your experience on social media. Visit here for more info
6) Our partner 100campaign 100voices for diabetes aims at bringing together 100 Globalvoices who will advocate for access to insulin. Visit here to include your voice.
EVENTS PENDING CONFIRMATION BY US
Diabetes Community Outreach to the Students of Babcock University at Ilishan, Ogun State, Nigeria. The second edition of this program holding this year aims at Diabetes Education and screening of students of The Babcock University. Follow us on twitter for more information on the date.
A community outreach with The National Youth Service Corp Members of Oyo State, Nigeria. . Follow us on twitter for more information on the date and venue.